Sunday 9 February 2020

The beauty of vintage projector bulbs / lamps

I bought this early incomplete Specto 9.5mm projector recently:




There were a couple of the original (?) bulbs in one corner. I believe the projector dates from the late 1930s/ early 40s so these bulbs could be 70 or even 80 years old. 

Property of HM Government. 115V 100W Siemens: 






30V 100W Gas-filled Mazda BTH. Made in England;


Close up they really are quite wonderful:





I wanted to see if they would still light, but the original electrics look scary:


but then I read that collectors of old bulbs use low voltages to display the colours and shapes of the filaments so I connected up a a battery pack with 10 x 1.5V batteries in it:


and amazingly with the 15V they sprang to life!   Beautiful:










No comments:

Post a Comment